Senior Producer, Doha Debates
Explainer video produced for Doha Debates digital shown during Capitalism debate in October 2019.
DOHA DEBATES BUSINESS UNIT: Digital
JOB TYPE: Exempt
JOB SCHEDULE: Full-Time
JOB LOCATION: Washington, DC
JOB TITLE: Senior Producer
Doha Debates provides compelling and engaging content and forums for discussing the most important issues facing people today. Originally branded “The Doha Debates”, a BBC program hosted by Tim Sebastian from 2005 to 2012, the new Doha Debates builds on this successful legacy with a relaunch of the franchise through a suite of products to engage younger global audiences including live debate events, social and digital content, podcasts and a television series. With a focus on the educational community, Doha Debates seeks to engage student populations in the debate content.
- We’re looking for a motivated and multi-talented senior producer to work on a small but mighty digital team primarily focused on video content. You have a deep interest in world affairs and the news. You believe that a well told story can change the way people see the world or feel about a certain issue. You feel at ease debating big topics. You are extremely visual. You are thirsty to learn about new things and challenge yourself with new ideas. You are a doer and a team player. You can take a great piece of content from pitch to publication. You shoot, edit and write. You have an eye for detail and thirst for facts and a good argument.
- You have a background in storytelling and you’re not afraid to experiment with new forms and formats. You have strong viewpoints you’re willing to fight for, but you are interested in listening to and amplifying opposing voices because you believe that healthy discourse is inherently good. You constantly challenge yourself and those around you.
- The person in this role will be expected to regularly pitch original stories and work closely with freelancers, animators and editors to make impactful videos. You will also help the Executive Producer manage projects and priorities, while helping to keep the trains running on time.
- You will also be expected to work across the teams at Doha Debates including with the podcasting team, the television series development team, the website team and other special projects.
Position Functions and Responsibilities
- To perform this job successfully, each essential duty and responsibility must be performed satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Write and proofread scripts for short and long form content that may vary from animated explainers, to profiles, to op-eds
- Help build and shape the voice of Doha Debates through our digital content
- Work closely with your EP and other team members to stay on track, meet deadlines and create compelling and engaging videos
- Work closely with the social/audience producer(s) to optimize social packaging for videos
- Meet and maintain the highest editorial standards on a daily basis and ensure that all content is thoroughly fact checked and vetted before publication
Skills and Abilities
- Set up shoots, book and produce interviews, and commission freelancers
- Pitch original stories and series and develop new ideas and initiatives
- A proven interest in international topics, the ability to frame a cogent argument and critical thinking skills are an absolute must
- Track record of accurate, ethical and editorially and journalistically rigorous storytelling
- Background in creating educational content is a plus
- Impeccable grammar and the ability to write punchy, concise copy
- Copy editing skills are a plus.
- Edit using Premiere and the ability to shoot on DSLR or equivalent cameras
- Must be organized, detail oriented and have a passion for telling important stories
- An interest and proven track record with social media tools and the ability to help build engagement around important content
- The ability to collaborate with animators, editors, producers to create excellent content
- The ability to manage a project from start to finish
- The ability to create engaging short and long form content
- Minimum 4 years professional experience in journalism or digital media
- Willingness and ability to work East Coast hours
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent job experience
This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the sole standards for the position. Incumbents are expected to perform all other duties as required.
Doha Debates is an EEO employer.
Please send your CV, resume, links to relevant work, and three references to email@example.com