Copy Editor, Doha Debates
Joy Buolamwini presenting during a live debate about artificial intelligence and racism in technology.
Position: Copy Editor
Reports To: Executive Producer, Digital
Type: Non-Exempt, 5-month temporary, full-time, assignment
Location: Washington D.C, North Carolina, New York, Illinois
About the Organization
Qatar Foundation International (QFI) is an educational organization committed to advancing Arabic language teaching and learning. QFI supports innovative, research-based Arabic language programs in state funded primary and secondary schools and works to increase access to Arabic instruction for educators and students around the world.
QFI is currently supporting the operations of Doha Debates, a production of Qatar Foundation. Doha Debates unites, empowers and inspires younger people to become impassioned, informed leaders. We are inspired by Majlis-style debates, which are designed to bridge differences, build consensus and identify solutions to urgent global issues. Through live debates and shows, podcasts, videos, educational curriculum, newsletters and other written work, social media initiatives and more, we amplify diverse perspectives and practical solutions to humanity’s challenges.
Position Functions and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, each essential duty and responsibility must be performed satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may be assigned to meet business needs.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
This position supports all of Doha Debates’ digital initiatives and programs. The copy editor performs routine professional activities to support a large-scale editorial and/or publishing projects. Some of the responsibilities include but are not limited to:
– Editing and fact-checking social copy, newsletters and other editorial products.
– Newsletters and other editorial products.
– Strong research skills and be curious and informed about global events and current issues.
– Accepting and incorporating feedback to produce the strongest end product.
– Other editorial tasks as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
– Have some knowledge of best practices in inclusive language and be excited to continue learning more.
– Balances depth and speed in editing.
– Can handle the logistics and demands of large projects.
– Regularly resolves problems in stories. Knows when to ask questions.
– Makes good prioritization decisions, spending an appropriate amount of time on each task.
– Excels at time management, prioritization and handling multiple tasks at once.
– An interest or background in Arab language and/or culture is a plus but not required.
Minimum one year of copy-editing experience for a digital-first publication, familiarity with all major social media platforms and a minimum of three years of copy-editing experience.
This position description should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the sole standards for the position. Incumbents are expected to perform all other duties as required.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.